August 17, 2009

I personally love red lipstick. I've always loved it ever since I was able to get my hands on my Mom's Revlon back in elementary school (and hastily rubbing it off on the bus ride home...oh, but she KNEW...haha!) I don't wear red lipstick everyday, but there are some days I wear it to feel prettier and some days I wear it to feel more confident or just give me that little "I'm a vintage puh-rin-cesss" vibe. No matter the season or whatever the trends are in make-up, red lipstick will always be a classic and will always be in style. But how to go about choosing the right color for you?


Warm Skin Tones: Orangey reds, Warm reds, Tomato reds, Brown based reds, Golden reds, Tawny reds.

Cool Skin Tones: Pink tones of red, Berry Reds, Blackberry Reds, Brick Reds, Blue tones of Red, Plum tones.

All Skin Tones: Think London bus red. A true red.

---- TIPS ON CHOOSING RED LIPSTICK ---

1.] Try it on! And when you do try it on, don't try it on your hands please. Red lipstick is going to look much different on your hand than on your lips.

2.] If you don't know what your skin tone is just remember cool skin tones have fair complexions with pink undertones (think Nicole Kidman, Angelina Jolie, Scarlett Johansson) and warmer skin tones have olive or blue undertones (think Penelope Cruz, Keira Knightley, or Freida Pinto)

3.] Red lipsticks with blue undertones will make your teeth look whiter.

4.] If you're not sure you can pull of red lipstick you can always go for a red lip stain or red lip gloss. My favorite is Russian Red by M.A.C.

5.] Who says it has to be evening to wear red lipstick? Red lipstick is fun and cheery! If you're having a bit of a grey day, swipe on some red lipstick and you will feel better, I promise!

6.] Help keep red lipstick on longer by using a lip primer. Also make sure your lips are not dry or chapped before putting on red lipstick (or any lipstick for that matter).

7.] The secret to wearing red lipstick: BE CONFIDENT! Wearing red lipstick should give you just a little more "oomph" in your step. Make you smile a little brighter. It makes me happy that's for sure.

- Other Sources -
+ How to pick Red Lipstick
+ How to wear red lipstick
+ Quick Tips: Picking a Red Lipstick
+ How To Wear Red Lipstick

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the red lipstick tips! I have been wanting to be brave and try out some red lipstick, but really wasn't sure about picking out the right shade! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a girl after my own heart! you just know i loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post!!! Very informative and useful. I have been loving a toned-down red by Mac called "Spice" but lately have been longing for a true red. I am definitely going to use all of this info! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. aha! i feel so inferior now, after seeing how you dispensed your tips this way with lovely posters and with your own words. well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips! I'm wearing true red a lot these days...I'm attending a 50s festival ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terrific tips! I really enjoyed the post, especially the beautiful images of vintage gals. I adore red lipstick, it's my go-to colour and the hue I now feel most comfortable wearing. I just bought a new tube of Mac Russian Red on Friday, but I have oodles of different reds in my make-up bag at any given time :)

    Wishing you a gorgeous Sunday, sweetie!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I'm writing an article about red lips on http://thepoc.net/beauty-and-fashion.html. I'd like to ask permission to use one of your images (the one with lipstick smears) to go along with my article. I'll give full credit, of course. Thanks and have a great day!

    Mara

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there..love your blog. Just written a post on styling and adding the finishing touch to the lips..red! Added a link to you.
    I'll be checking the tutorial for the eyeliner application.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Red is a hot choice but sometimes woman land up choosing the wrong shade for the skin tone they wear.The darker shades of red with a little brownish of blackish tint look better for the darker skin tones.organic foundation

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like it all try also men's suits for your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks heaps, though if you have really pale skin, and quite frankly has gone beyond the point where you can't tell whether it's warm or cool haha, is there a no-wrong-doer shade that suits even pale skin? thanks heaps :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for this! I have recently coloured my hair dark and my lips need a bit of colour to stop me looking so bland. I have always been too scared to try red thinking it would make me look too dressed up or try hard. But I really really love the vinatge look, watching a Doris Day film now and red lipstick just looks so great :) So thanks for helping me, I now know what to look for :) Feel free to check out my blog, I have photos of me there so any suggestions would be great :)

    ♥ http://kirstabelle11.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a little comment, I do try to respond back as often as I can. Have a lovely day! xoxo - Rodellee