May 30, 2011
By the end of the first year of American involvement, tens of thousands of the nation’s soldiers had died (World War I). President Woodrow Wilson was concerned that large numbers of women wearing the traditional black or dark-colored mourning clothes would have a negative effect on public morale, diminishing the nation’s will, and eventually its ability, to win the war.

While black is a traditional color of mourning in Western cultures, I think the decision by AGSM (American Gold Star Mothers) to wear white, rather than black, was a strong statement of how the women wanted to be perceived as they participated in the organization's business. Yes, they mourned their lost children, but white made a symbolic statement that went beyond mourning, a statement of peace, sacrifice, innocence and goodness. Those were the things that their children had been and had died for - wearing white celebrated their children's contributions while the gold star acknowledged their sacrifice.



Image Sources: Adorevintage Pinterest. Article snippet from Gold Star Moms -

7 comments:

  1. I love the first photo of Marylin Monroe! So simple and beautiful1

    I'm following your blog, I hope you FOLLOW mine, to win beautiful goodies in my giveaways <3: http://ladyfashionoui.blogspot.com/
    Have a fashionable day
    XOXO
    IT *

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEYA! Love your blog, it's a real inspiration! Fantastic photography I adore it! Im a newbie to the blogging world (have been blogging for a few months now), trying to gain a following and thought you may be interested? please feel free to follow me, i'd LOVE IT! Thankyou for your time and keep up the fantastic work! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, love the feel and layout of your blog - Also Marilyn is my favourite iconic figure x

    Come check out my heel design blogspot? Think you'll really like what you see...Take care x

    Louboutininthemaking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. now you can find free b2b company directory for business trading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, interesting post. I have been wondering about this topic, so thanks for posting. I’ll definitely be subscribing to your site. Keep up the good posts
    Tanning pompano

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Fantastic Blog, it’s so helpful to me, and your blog is very good,
    I’ve learned a lot from your blog here, Keep on going, my friend, I will keep an eye on it,
    Self Improvement Ideas

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely adore reading your post, the form of writing is extraordinary.This post as usual was informative, I have had to bookmark your blog and subscribe to your feed in ifeed. Your site looks great.
    http://www.trainingtampa.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a little comment, I do try to respond back as often as I can. Have a lovely day! xoxo - Rodellee