November 4, 2012
There are many reasons to love Downton Abbey, but one especially I would like to highlight is that the show has garnered an interest amongst the populace for Edwardian and World War I era clothing.

The teens era has always been a bit of a pretty murky area for me, definitely the 1920s were flapper dresses but as my knowledge in vintage clothing and fashion history expands, I am discovering that flapper dresses weren't really the norm until the mid to late 1920s.

So in my efforts to learn more about World War 1 and Edwardian fashions, I have been gathering images throughout the internet and wanted to share my finds with my lovely vintage readers.

Edwardian and World War 1 Fashions
Described as "Advanced Models of Distinctive Winter Styles" from an issue of McCalls winter magazine 1913. Look at those amazing details!
// source

Edwardian and World War 1 Fashions
"Daytime and Evening Gowns of Dainty Lace and Grace" from the Titanic era from a March 1914 issue of McCalls magazine.
// source

Edwardian and World War 1 Fashions
From April 1914 issue of McCalls magazine (two years after the sinking of the Titanic).
// source

Edwardian and World War 1 Fashions
These styles came in the late teens, 1918-1919 and were for Spring fashions. I can't remember where I sourced these from, I'm sorry!

Edwardian and World War 1 Fashions
Winter styles from an issue of The Woman's Magazine from December 1919.
// source

I feel that the Edwardian era and World War 1 era is often overlooked for the wonderful clothes and fashions that spanned these two decades. And most often these eras are just lumped in with Victorian and Flapper fashions. As I progress in my knowledge of antique clothing, I hope you will learn a thing or two as well!




6 comments:

  1. Hi, love Edwardian Fashion From McCalls Magazine. secondly very nice collection of pics

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful timeline of fashions! Thank you for sharing. I can't wait to watch last nights episode of Downton now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are just lovely. If you ask me, fashion may fade for a certain period, but it never dies out. This is one perfect example of vintage fashion. It's very classic and classic adds just the perfect touch for photo shoots, in films, and more. I just can't get enough of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really wonderfull blog post. I noticed this blog further more useful information. Thanks for sharing your useful views..... Apparel Services in Lucknow

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its really a amazing collection. These styles came in the late teens, 1918-1919 and were for Spring fashions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Edwardian fashion... truly transitional, but distinct from the formality of the Victorian era and the glamour of the 20s. You've got a beautiful blog! Definitely going to draw inspiration from the posts you have here!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a little comment, I do try to respond back as often as I can. Have a lovely day! xoxo - Rodellee